Editor's Note: Solon Patch is reviewing the top stories of 2012. These selections are based both on how many readers a story got or because its part of a larger issue. This story is reprinted from earlier in the year.
Solon Police broke up a massive 'electrofoam' party arranged over social media, charging ten people with various drug and drinking related charges.
Police arrived at Grantwood Golf Course at about 11:38 p.m. July 20 to find a massive party with hundreds of juveniles and young adults under 21. Officers said they observed sexual activity, drinking and found evidence of drug use.
According to the police report, the party was promoted over social media as an 'electrofoam' party and that the organizers were charging $10 for people to get into the party. One partygoer said that there more than 750 at the party.
There was a Youtube video of the party, featuring young people dancing to techno-sounding music wearing neon clothes and claiming to be from a party on July 20, but the video has since been made private and it's unclear if its the same party.
Adults who were charged include:
- Timothy J. Duran, 18, of Solon, charged with drug abuse
- Andrew Krall, 19, of Pennsylvania, charged with drug abuse
- Michael T. O'Maley, 18, of Shaker Heights, charged with underage consumption
- Cameron Greene, 19, of Macedonia, charged with underage possession of alcohol, obstructing official business, illegal possession of drug paraphernalia
- Matthew Michael Paul, 19, of Macedonia, charged with underage possession of alcohol
Police also detained five juveniles, on various charges including underage consumption, disorderly conduct, drug abuse and curfew violations.
Click on the PDF of the police report for more information about what happened at the party.