In two days, the has dealt with two cigarette-related outdoor fires, said Fire Chief Bill Shaw.
Both fires, one at the Solon Senior Center and the other at an apartment at Liberty Hills, caused minimal damage and no one was injured.
On Sunday afternoon, mulch near the Solon Senior Center caught fire, causing about $3,000 in damage to plants, patio furniture and a stockade fence. Shaw said the fire was likely caused by discarded cigarettes.
And then on Monday morning, a resident of an apartment on Hamilton Court called 911 to report a fire on the apartment balcony, caused by improperly discarded cigarettes.
The woman was notified of the blaze by her downstairs neighbor. Firefighters arrived shortly before 7 a.m. to find parts of the balcony still burning. They put out the fire and checked the apartment building to make sure the fire did not spread.
The damage is estimated at $5,300.
Contributing to the fires was likely the dry and hot drought conditions the region is experiencing, Shaw said.