With everyone still adhering to their New Year's resolutions for 2012, experts at the suggest some tests that can help keep a goal of making it a healthy year.
The following five tests are recommended for yearly physicals (the final one is for men only, but women should have a breast exam and pap smear):
1. Fasting blood sugar: At least one-fourth of U.S. adults have pre-diabetes, defined as having impaired fasting glucose, impaired glucose tolerance, or both
2. Fasting lipid profile: The test includes total cholesterol, HDL (good cholesterol), LDL (bad cholesterol) and triglyceride levels
3. High-sensitive C-reactive protein: High levels are predictive for future heart problems.
4. Vitamin D level: Low levels are associated with osteopenia, osteoporosis, breast cancer, colon cancer and heart disease
5. PSA level: The test is used to screen for prostate cancer
These tests are important because the sooner a health problem can be detected, the better the treatment options that are available.