READ: Solon's Anti-Fraud Policy
The Solon City Council has been working on the city's first anti-fraud policy for some time. Here's the draft that council will likely approve in coming weeks.
Solon City Council members approved a new fraud policy this summer.
That policy is already being used to investigate the Solon Center for the Arts.
The idea to formalize procedures for dealing with fraud allegations was brought forward by Finance Director Dennis Kennedy after he was hired.
You can read the entire policy by clicking the PDF attached to this article.
Here are some highlights:
- The policy is designed to protect the city from embezzlement, altering or falsifying documents, misapproriating city property, theft, falsifying work hours and more.
- Employees should report suspected fraud to their department head. If they suspect the department head, they should contact the police.
- The police and the law director will determine if an investigation is warranted, and will conduct the investigation.
- City council will be notified of cases after an investigation is complete.
- The finance director will monitor departments internal controls to make sure they are doing the best they can to prevent fraud.