The Solon Planning Commission is expected to vote tonight on plans for a redesigned Solar Shopping Center, including a new, free-standing Giant Eagle.
The Planning Commission meets at 7:30 p.m. tonight at City Hall.
The commission has been considering the project for the last month, going over traffic studies, landscape plans and considering a slew of variances developer Echo Solon needs before it can build.
The Solar Shopping Center sits in the middle of town at the SOM Center and Aurora roads intersection.
Echo Solon, a local arm of Echo Realty, wants to build a new, freestanding 92,000 square foot Giant Eagle and redesign the rest of the plaza. Solon officials are supporting the project, calling it the first major upgrade of a shopping plaza in Solon history and a key part of the city master plan.
Recommending the project to city council tonight is the next step that must happen so the developer can get city approval by April 12. That's the deadline Echo must meet to buy the property from the current owners.
- Solon Safety Committee OKs Giant Eagle Site Plan
- Planning Review of Giant Eagle Plans Could Be Done By March
- Your Take: Will the New Giant Eagle Actually Happen?
- For Now, Some Neighbors Oppose New Giant Eagle in Solon
- If Approved, New Giant Eagle Expected to Open Summer 2013
- New Giant Eagle Part of Solar Center Redevelopment
- Solar Center Redevelopment Moving Again
- Legal Fight Leaves Solar Center Redevelopment in Limbo