But the city has confirmed that its investigators are using the new fraud policy, approved in August, to conduct an independent investigation of the irregularities.
So that policy is a guide to what city officials are doing right now in the investigation.
What does the policy say? Click the PDF attached to the article to read it.
Here's some highlights:
- The policy is designed to protect the city from embezzlement, altering or falsifying documents, misapproriating city property, theft, falsifying work hours and more.
- Employees should report suspected fraud to their department head. If they suspect the department head, they should contact the police.
- The police and the law director will determine if an investigation is warranted, and will conduct the investigation. If the law director is involved in the alleged fraud, then the city prosecutor gets involved.
- City council will be notified of cases after an investigation is complete.
- The finance director will monitor departments internal controls to make sure they are doing the best they can to prevent fraud.
- Details of investigations are confidential.