New Giant Eagle Approved by Solon City Council
If things go as planned, the new supermarket could open by summer 2013.
The Solon City Council approved a development plan tonight that will pave the way for a new, up-to-date Giant Eagle and the first ever revamping of one of Solon's major shopping centers.
The developer, Echo Solon, plans to begin work at the Solar Shopping Center very soon. The plan is to open the Giant Eagle in summer 2013. The existing Giant Eagle will remain open while the new store is built.
City Council approved Echo Solon's proposal to redevelop the aging plaza which sits in the center of town at the intersection of SOM Center and Aurora roads. The project required 17 zoning variances and site plan approval.
Besides the grocery store, the developer also plans to build a Getgo gas station and various retail buildings.
Echo first plans to build a 11,500 square foot retail center and redesign sections of the existing plaza will remain, said Phil Bishop of Echo Realty.
Once those are finished in the Fall, the plaza's existing tenants will be moved into those spaces.
That will clear the way for the developers to build a pad in late Fall for the new Giant Eagle on the southern side of the plaza.
Bishop said that some existing tenants will remain in the plaza and that they will also be bringing in new retail businesses. He said in March that Echo will announce those tenants when they are ready to.
Approval of the project is a win for Solon officials, who have been behind the project because they see it as a key piece to revamping the city's retail core.
This redevelopment plans essentially emerged from a dead deal, after the last effort succumbed to a legal fight between its disparate partners.
Echo Solon will be purchasing the shopping center and be its owner and developer. Bishop said previously that Echo was in Solon "for the long haul."
"Alot of work's going to be undertaken now," Bishop said after that vote. "We look forward to being here long term."
- City Gives Solar Center Developers $140,000 Grant
- City Council Begins Deliberations On New Giant Eagle
- Solar Center, Giant Eagle Plans Passed To City Council
- Solon Safety Committee OKs Giant Eagle Site Plan
- Planning Review of Giant Eagle Plans Could Be Done By March
- Your Take: Will the New Giant Eagle Actually Happen?
- For Now, Some Neighbors Oppose New Giant Eagle in Solon
- If Approved, New Giant Eagle Expected to Open Summer 2013
- New Giant Eagle Part of Solar Center Redevelopment
- Solar Center Redevelopment Moving Again
- Legal Fight Leaves Solar Center Redevelopment in Limbo
- Solar Center Redevelopment Drags On, But Signs of Progress Emerge