Cleveland Clinic Experts Reveal Top 5 Medical Tests for 2012
Cleveland Clinic doctors recommend tests you should take this year
With everyone still adhering to their New Year's resolutions for 2012, experts at the Cleveland Clinic suggest some tests that can help keep a goal of making it a healthy year.
The following five tests are recommended for yearly physicals (the final one is for men only, but women should have a breast exam and pap smear):
1. Fasting blood sugar: At least one-fourth of U.S. adults have pre-diabetes, defined as having impaired fasting glucose, impaired glucose tolerance, or both
2. Fasting lipid profile: The test includes total cholesterol, HDL (good cholesterol), LDL (bad cholesterol) and triglyceride levels
3. High-sensitive C-reactive protein: High levels are predictive for future heart problems.
4. Vitamin D level: Low levels are associated with osteopenia, osteoporosis, breast cancer, colon cancer and heart disease
5. PSA level: The test is used to screen for prostate cancer
These tests are important because the sooner a health problem can be detected, the better the treatment options that are available.